QuoIntelligence’s Weekly Intelligence Snapshot for the week of 28 July – 4 August is now available! Find a summary here and subscribe to our mailing list below if you want to receive regular updates from us!
APT31: New Widespread Espionage Campaigns, Including Expanded Target Interest
Industry impacted: Financials, Government, Information Technology
Researchers at Positive Technologies disclosed analysis of a campaign occurring between at least January and July 2021, and attributed it to the suspected China-linked cyberespionage group known as APT31. Notably, the researchers observed Russia as a new locale not previously known as a target of APT31 campaigns.
Industry impacted: Communication Services, Industrials, Utilities
- MeteorExpress Campaign Uses Novel Wiper Malware To Target Iranian Train System
- Top Routinely Exploited Vulnerabilities
- Collective Campaigns By Chinese Threat Actors Dubbed DeadRinger Target Microsoft Exchange In Major Telcos
- Raccoon Stealer Updated to Target Crypto Wallets
GDPR: Amazon Fined EUR 746 million for Behavioral Advertising
Industry impacted: Communication Services, Consumer Discretionary
Amazon disclosed that Luxembourg’s data protection agency fined the company EUR 746 million (USD 887 million) over how Amazon uses customer data for targeted advertising purposes. QuoIntelligence previously forecasted the potential for stricter regulation concerning data privacy tending towards a more regulated internet. While the GDPR fine against Amazon could be a pivotal moment to strengthen the applicability of GDPR, it could also evolve into a lengthy appellation process that will again highlight the reserves and stamina big tech companies have in defending their business models.
Industry impacted: Financials, Government, Industrials
- Diplomatic Tensions Escalate with Iran Over Attack on Oil Tanker
- South China Sea: German Warship to Travel to South China Sea
- New US Infrastructure Bill to Tax Crypto Industry USD 30 Billion
5 August – DEF CON 29